The purpose of this blog is to create a place where images of Black Americana can be shared openly with the public since there are no other online galleries at present. Although Black Americana can be controversial, with some people considering it worthy of being destroyed, I believe that these items need to be preserved as reminders of what mankind is capable of. The hatred, prejudice and racism that spurned the creation of many such propaganda has not died completely, rather it pulses today quietly lying in wait like a smoldering fire waiting on the wind.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

From The Private Collection Of Mary

The following slide show contains images from the collection of Mary, an antique and vintage collectibles seller. The following are her words:

I'm a 59 year old White person. When I was 20, I was poor, but saw a pair of Black Americana salt and pepper shakers in a shop. They had so much character, and the lady had such a beautiful face, I just had to have them. Thus started my first ever collection....Black Americana. I never thought of the images of being something that could be hurtful, because I was raised that we are all the same, and never saw discrimination on a personal level. Over the years, my sensitivity has increased. I still can't resist buying interesting Black Americana, both for my collection, and for resale. I have met so many wonderful people at the antique shows I've done, through my section of Black Americana. Most of my buyers for it are Black. I've never had a negative comment, and have gained a lot of insight.

Have you heard of Rose Hill? She's a modern day potter, and artist. I met her in the late 90's, and she had these wonderful pieces with the images of the cutest Black children I'd ever seen. Of course, I had to have some of her work! Several years later, she and her work were featured on Oprah. http://rosehillart.com/


Here are pictures from my favorite pieces from my collections. I've included pictures of some Rose Hill pieces that are from the 1990's.



1 comment:

  1. Royalty Free Big-Butt Betty Boop
    Brought to you by the American Free Art for All Movement [of Cleveland], at: http://freeartforall.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete